1947 ... A mum raced a quarter of a mile in blizzard conditions to phone for an ambulance for her Daughter.
Mum of four Edith Foster was in the kitchen when she heard her Son shout out, she ran to the sitting room where they were all playing, to find her Daughter Sylvia's dress in flames. A spark from the open fire had landed on her dress.
Edith grabbed the rug that was on the floor and wrapped her Daughter in it.
Sylvia aged 8 suffered burns to her face and arms and was very poorly in hospital. Edith suffered burns to hands but after treatment was not detained.